Due to some health issues, my doctors have recommended that I take a good look at what I’m eating. Therefore, I’ve been looking at vegetarian, low-carb and keto-friendly recipes.
A friend shared this low-carb lasagna recipe with her mouth-watering photos and I was intrigued. It includes homemade “cheese dough lasagna noodles,” which are a lot easier to make than I would have guessed! They’re made out of cheese and Italian seasoning so the noodles fit right in with the other Italian ingredients.
If you’re following a keto diet or would like to try some low-carb recipes, I highly recommend giving this lasagna recipe a try! I think you’ll be as pleasantly surprised as I was.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
Cheese Dough Lasagna Noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 pound ground beef (you could substitute with ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 cup no-sugar-added marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (of your choice)
- pinch of dried oregano (optional)
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all cheese dough ingredients into a food processor. Blend until evenly mixed with a thick liquid consistency. (If you do not have a food processor, mix the ingredients by hand.)
- Pour cheese batter onto the cookie sheet. Spread batter evenly across. Place into middle of oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until surface is no longer wet and is firm to the touch. Set cookie sheet aside to cool. While noodles are cooling, prepare the meat sauce.
- In a large skillet, add onion and ground beef. Cook on medium heat until meat is browned. Drain excess fat from skillet. Add in Italian seasoning and marinara sauce. Reduce to low heat and cook at a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- To assemble the lasagna, evenly slice your cheese dough into thirds. Place the noodle slices into an 8×4-inch loaf pan. Add a thin layer of meat sauce to the bottom of the pan. Add first noodle layer over meat sauce. Add 1/3 of the remaining meat sauce across first noodle layer. Spread 3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese across noodle layer. Sprinkle 1/4 mozzarella cheese across. Repeat with second noodle, meat sauce, ricotta and mozzarella. Add third noodle. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle on remaining mozzarella (with a pinch of dried oregano, if desired).
- Bake lasagna in the middle of your oven at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. If you prefer the top cheese layer to have some color, after the 20 minutes of bake time, set your oven to a low broil and let the cheese bubble for about 2 minutes until browned.
- Let lasagna cool slightly before slicing and serving. If desired, sprinkle on some freshly grated Parmesan cheese before serving.
Note: If you don’t have a food processor, you can mix the cheese dough ingredients by hand. First whisk eggs. Then stir in mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning. Pour onto prepared cookie sheet.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here’s how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds communityand follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.